The following is a handy checklist of things to consider before going live on Trade Me:
Trade Me Account Set Up
- You must have a Trade Me account with username and password set up
- You will need a Trade Me Pay Now account (like having a PayPal account) for you to receive payments from sales on Trade Me. The help pages on Trade Me explain how to set up Pay Now and this must be done before you can sell using Trade Runner: https://help.trademe.co.nz/hc/en-us/articles/360007264451
- Your Trade Me account must be "in Trade" before you can start listing to Trade Me via Trade Runner. Information on how to do that can be found here: https://help.trademe.co.nz/hc/en-us/articles/360011642731
- You will need to authorise Trade Runner to access your Trade Me account during the set up process. There is a prompt in the Dashboard if this is not done.
Choose which products to list
- You will need to select a Trade Me category for each product you want to list on Trade Me. See Category Mapping for more instructions
- If there are products you don't want to list on Trade Me, you can either Block them or simply not choose a Trade Me category for them to list on. You can block a single product or exclude products by brand or keyword.
- Government restrictions and Trade Me policy prevent some product types from selling on Trade Me. Please see: Banned and Restricted items for a full list.
- If you want to change the price of products you can create a promotion to increase or decrease the price of all products or a group of products.
If the currency of your ecommerce store is NOT NZD then please read this:
- The price of your products on Trade Me is determined by:
- We take the price of your product in your ecommerce store base currency. We then remove any local taxes and then convert the amount excluding tax into NZD. Orders on Trade Me are in NZD and are converted back into the currency of your ecommerce store.
- Full details are available in this article Tax and Currency Exchange
- You can create custom exchange rates - go to 'Settings - Currencies' if you don't want to use the daily default rate which fluctuates. See Set the exchange rate.
- You need to add a disclaimer that you are an offshore business to each listing:
- Go to 'Settings - Trade Me - General' then scroll down to the field 'Description template'
- Enter $detailed_description (this includes your standard product description data) then start a new line by hitting enter twice then the text you want to appear e.g This item is sold by <Insert your store name>, an offshore business located in <your location>, and may incur NZ customs duty or tax. Find out more at http://trade.me/whatsmyduty
- You can set up a stock buffer under 'Settings - Administration' if you carry low levels of stock and want to reduce the chance of overselling.
- There are many options available for setting up your shipping on Trade Me for example Free shipping, Multiple shipping options per product, weight based shipping based on product groups in Omnivore, Free shipping over a certain $ threshold.
- Please review the article Overview of shipping to better understand the options available to you for shipping when selling on Trade Me.
- At a minimum you need one shipping method to go live on Trade Me.
- If you are selling products which require a size chart, you can add an image of the Size Chart to all listings or a group of products
- Create the Product Group (go to 'Products - Product Groups' in Omnivore) then go to ‘Products – Product Actions’ and click ‘Create additional image’.
- Complete the required information. You will need the image in JPG format and hosted on a URL that is publicly accessible.
- Review 10 tips for selling on Trade Me - these are not mandatory to sell but they will ensure you're set up for the best chance of success.